SPGD--Typography

Decisions


When going into the project, I was searching for ten quotes for either inspiration, or to do typography work on, and needed at least four to pertain to my everyday thoughts, or events/ activities. So I began searching for quotes pertaining to four things: music, scouting, chess, and life in general. As soon as these were written in my sketchbook, I went for fonts to fit the overall theme of each quote, fonts that represented words or the phrase overall. Some of the chosen fonts were universal in my project, as I used them in almost all of my drafts simply because of how they seemed to work with other words and its environment. 

Development

I started by creating four art boards, and placing my top four quotes on each one. I then brought up my list of each font that I had downloaded from DaFont.com, and scrolled through each one while my phrase or quote was selected so I could get an overall preview for each one. After deciding on specific fonts, I proceeded to divide each art board into different ideas or themes, and brought out the pen tool to develop some graphics for each, such as a whistle, chess piece, or heart. The farther into the project that I went, the more simplified the style became for quotes. The first one was rather complex, and hard to understand or read until it was colorized, yet the final art board had very few changes when transitioning from black and white into color. B&W and colorized designing provided very different views. For instance, there were several parts from each art board that I enjoyed looking at more in one version than the other. It was also easier to come up with designing ideas for the B&W version because I never had to worry what it would look like with the vibrancy of color.

Finally

When these were completed, I was both proud, yet strangely un-enthusiastic about how they turned out to be. On one hand, this was something i have never done before, and am proud of both how complex, and simplistic they were. On the other, I could have done things a lot differently to have gotten a more improved result. IF i were to change something about the overall development, it would be the amount of complexity I put into the first one, as well as change the lack of creativity in the second. Of course, I can only get better at developing anything with time and practice, and everyone starts somewhere, whether they like it or not.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junior Semester Reflection

Sophomore Graphic Design Reflection

Printing Processes and Techniques

Low-Poly Self Portrait

My Personality Type

SPGD--First Semester Self-Exam

Printing Two of my Recent Projects

Careers That Interest Me

Google SketchUp