SPGD--First Semester Self-Exam

Highlighted Graphic Design Projects

Photoshop Challenge #1--"Nature Man"


At the beginning of the year, we were re-introduced to Adobe Photoshop, and had to go through several tutorials to enhance our understanding and capabilities with the software. After these were finished, the class was tasked to use our abilities to create the "Nature Man." This project took about 8 days to complete, start to finish, with a few minor complications in between. These include masking problems, effects errors, and a few visual difficulties in the end. However, I learned how to alter the appearance of the image, without taking away the textures of the original image itself, as well as using some complex effects to complete the hair. Along the way however, I was given advice on how to go complete a function in a new manner to save time overall, most of which related back to masking, and how to properly go about it.  At this point, I was happy with my overall result, as I had replaced the background, and altered almost every other part of the image to provide contrast in color, and look. 

Illustrator--"Autumn Leaves"


After finishing up our photoshop unit, and Challenge #2, the class moved on to Illustrator. The second project in which the class had to do was "Autumn Leaves." The main focus was to learn most of the common functions and useful operations of Adobe Illustrator that we would have to use later down the road. As this was an easier project, it took around 3-4 days to complete and turn in, and the only major challenges that were faced happened in the beginning, when finding the required panels to use. However, this project taught me where and how to use the toolbar, pathfinder, effects, and operations with the mouse right click. Once the project was finished I did not make any changes of what I have done because we followed along through a website. by this point, I was rather confident in what I turned in because of how comfortable I felt working in the programs themselves. 

Semester Final Project--"Infographic"

To begin, I needed to find a subject to work off of, so I chose the topic of music since it is so close to me. Then, -3-4 days were spent researching and gathering all of the information that I would use on the final product, as well as what would strike the eye and sense of curiosity in the viewer. In order to move on, I had to make several formats or infographic ideas before I went on to designing, another week long process before the final draft was created in color, and would then be my reference point throughout the remainder of the time. In another week's time all 20 of my graphics that would be used were fully developed, and ready to be imported into my infographic Illustrator draft. This is when difficulties were met, as font imports weren't functioning, and some tools would not work properly, then colors would improperly fill the shape that was being edited. In the end, I got the advice and guidance that needed when errors showed up, and continued on to finish it through. 

As a Graphic Designing Student...

I have grown exponentially from where I started, and my knowledge of the softwares that I work in is much more well-rounded from the beginning. I can now use some effect in photoshop, as well as use masking, brush opacities, etc. more effectively as well as the tools and other functions in Illustrator, especially that of the pen tool. However, I still have a ways to go, as I still need to improve upon several of my skills, especially that of communication, leadership, and sometimes creativity. Improving upon these skills would not only make me a more well-rounded designer, but would give me more views, and advice to work with to increase project quality and classroom productivity overall.

To Conclude this Semester...

I have grown, yet I need have far to go in terms of improving.  love being able to have access and constantly work on projects not only at schools, but at home to pass time, or design for others, as well as learn more every day about some of the smaller parts of the softwares that are being used, and various keyboard shortcuts that go with each aspect of both Photoshop and Illustrator If I had to change anything from this semester, it would be to focus more on retaining everything that I not only see, but use or need in the future. Throughout the school year so far, I have proven to myself what I am capable of doing and using, as well as various styles of design that are used in my work, from formal to a more relaxed feel, the style remains mostly constant. Looking forward, I would like to experiment with different tools and tabs to get to new areas that haven't yet been explored, and continue to try my hardest to travel towards overall improvement and effectiveness without the cost of quality in projects that I create.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junior Semester Reflection

Sophomore Graphic Design Reflection

Printing Processes and Techniques

Low-Poly Self Portrait

SPGD--Typography

My Personality Type

Printing Two of my Recent Projects

Careers That Interest Me

Google SketchUp